The Civic Precinct Revitalisation Project includes refurbishment of the former Shire of Benalla building in Mair Street, which is the new home for the Council.
Financial assistance has been provided by Heritage Victoria, as the current building has heritage significance. Built in the late 1950s, it has been restored to its former glory.
The former Benalla Shire Offices were constructed in 1958 as the first of a number of municipal offices designed by architects Lines MacFarlane & Marshall. The building was used for this purpose until 1994 and retains a comparatively high degree of intactness for a late 1950s modernist public building.