Situated approximately 30kms from Benalla Devenish is a farming region.
The township of Devenish was surveyed and proclaimed in 1873. It was situated at the intersection of the Dookie Road and the Tocumwal-Benalla Road. However after the rail was built to St James in 1885, a new town grew by the the railway station (about 3 km NE) and the old town declined. At some point the settlement at the railway station became Devenish and the original town was became Devenish West.