Benalla Airport Masterplan
The Benalla Airport Redevelopment (Stage 1 project) will result in an increase in use of the Benalla Airport.
The Airport is a key local asset that contributes significantly to the economic and tourism growth across the region.
The redevelopment of Benalla Airport has been funded by the Rural Development Fund, a state government initiative. State and Council funding has been used to undertake:
- Construction and installation of the new gate and security fence
- Construction and installation of a new aviation fuel facility
- Construction of the extension to the eastern glider strip
- Manufacture and installation of new regulatory signs
- Establishment of a temporary emergency landing area in the south east paddock
- Maintenance of the emergency runway in the south east paddock
- Engineer and design of the retention basin extension and channel drainage improvements
Further funding was received from:
- Federal Government - National Stronger Regions Funds (NSRF) Round 2 of $715,253
- Council contributed the following funds of $421,551.
- Benalla Aviation Museum contributed $1,000
- Military Air Training Inc contributed $6,000.
This project incorporates these Redevelopment activities:
- Deepening the storm water retention basin
- Construction of an extension to the glider strip to the west
- Channel drainage maintenance and repair
- Installation of more than 30 regulatory signs
- Emergency runway
- Water reticulation to glider gridding
- Extension to glider strip to the east
These and other upgrades paved the way for the 34th FAI World Gliding Championships in January 2017.
The redevelopment brings many longer term tourism and economic benefits to Benalla Rural City. We now have the capacity to hold large scale events. Economic benefits are demonstrated through employment opportunities created by the redevelopment as well as ongoing maintenance and operations of the facility.
While there are many economic benefits, there are also strong community benefits. Community groups, including the Gliding Club of Victoria and the Benalla Aviation Museum are homed at the Benalla Airport. These groups and others are host to regular events that bring visitors to the region.
From the State Government’s contribution to our community, to the local businesses and contractors who have been able to showcase their capacity through their involvement with this project, our community is strengthened by this project.
Learn more and download the Benalla Airport Master Plan(PDF, 5MB).