L2P Learner Driver Program
The L2P Program helps young learner drivers facing significant barriers to getting the 120 hours of mandatory on-the-road driving experience. The L2P Program is a state-wide initiative sponsored by VicRoads and delivered by Benalla Rural City Council.
There are many barriers to young people being able to complete their 120 hours, including:
- Lack of access to a vehicle
- Lack of support from licenced adults
- Economic disadvantage
Limited access to public transport makes not being able to easily work toward obtaining a licence an even bigger issue for young people in rural areas.
Are you interested in being a mentor?
You can make a difference to the community if you can help even one young person to gain experience behind the wheel.
Do you have one spare hour per week that you could use to help a young person?
Volunteers in the program:
- Are provided with free training
- Are supported by the Council for coordination, communication and logistics
- Meet with the learner driver at least once a week for an hour
- Develop supportive and purposeful relationships with the young people learning to drive
- Are part of a great program that supports young people in the community
- Have fun meeting new people and teaching valuable skills
Are you interested in getting help from the program?
To be eligible for the L2P program, you must:
• Be aged 16-20 years
• Have a current learner permit (have you got your Ls?)
• Be free from issues that affect safe driving
• Be unable to achieve the 120hrs without the L2P program due to challenges, such as financial or family life.
As a learner driver in the program, you will:
- Be matched with a volunteer supervisor/mentor who will meet with you at least once a week for an hour
- Receive professional driving lessons by qualified driving instructors to assess your skill
- Be supported by the Council who will liaise with both you and your mentor
- Develop and maintain a purposeful and supportive relationship with a mentor
- Have fun and be a part of a great program
If you are interested in the program, either as a potential mentor or a potential learner driver, please contact the Council on 03 5760 2600.