Benalla Rural City is the lead agent in piloting the Live4Life whole of community youth suicide prevention model during 2017. This model was developed seven years ago in the Macedon Ranges, where it has been effective at improving mental health outcomes.
Live4Life aims to:
- Increase the mental health knowledge of all year 8 and year 11 students
- Increase the mental health knowledge of teachers, parents and carers
- Reduce barriers to seeking help for emerging or current mental health issues in young people
- Increase awareness of local professional help
- Decrease stigma and build community resilience to address common mental health problems
The community partnership implementing the program alongside Benalla Rural City Council includes NE Tracks LLEN, Tomorrow Today Foundation, Victoria Police, Benalla Health and Hume Central Hume Primary Care Partnership, NESAY, NECAHMS and local community members.
An important component of the program is the Live4Life Youth Crew. The Live4Life Crew assists in the delivery of the Live4Life education program in partner schools across Benalla Rural City with the support of the Benalla Rural City Council’s Youth Development team, Live4Life Educators and school staff.
This is a role for motivated young people who have a particular interest in making a difference in their school and community in regards to youth mental health.
As a Crew member you will be supported and mentored through a variety of learning and participatory opportunities including developing leadership and advocacy skills in the area of youth mental health.
Benalla Live4Life Crew members:
- Need to be in Year 9 or 10 in 2017
- Attend one of the three Live4Life schools (P-12 College, FCJ and Benalla Flexible Learning Centre)
- Attend regular meetings after school and during school holidays
- Are willing to get involved in organising and presenting at events
- Participate in Leadership Training
- Have an interest in positive mental health promotion
If this sounds like you, contact us for a conversation about how you can help raise awareness about mental health in our community by volunteering as a Live4Life Crew member.
To find out more about the Live4Life program, visit the Live4Life website.