The construction of the Adventure Park in the Benalla Botanical Gardens is complete, with small changes being implemented until August, including planting.
The redevelopment of the playground included the refurbishment of the iconic rocket slide, which turned 50 in 2016. Conservation works on the rocket slide were negotiated with Heritage Victoria. The $610,000 project (see funding partners below) has been designed by Andrew Laidlaw, who designed the award winning children’s garden at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne.
The new playground includes a toddler space, rope play area, Hobbit Cave and sand play area.
Funding for the Adventure Park has been received from:
- State Government - Regional Growth Fund $300,000
- State Government - Community Facility Fund $100,000
- Benalla Rural City Council $165,000
- The Friends of Benalla Botanical Gardens and Riverine Parkland $10,000
- Tomorrow Today Foundation $15,000
- In-Kind contributions* $20,000
- Total $610,000
*In-Kind contributions are from Hands on Learning, Rotary Club of Benalla, Benalla Lions Club, The Friends of Benalla Botanical Gardens and Riverine Parkland and GOTAFE.