Schedule B on page 62 of Governance Local Law 2016(PDF, 40KB) provides details of the requirements of a petition. Petitions must adhere to the requirements or they may not be received by Council.
Key points include:
- The first named signatory will be the person all correspondence will be channelled through
- The petition must be printed with no pencil or erasures
- The petition must be received from at least 12 people who have signed and included their name and physical address
- Each page must repeat the full wording of the petition as contained on the first page of the petition
- A petition must be received more than six days before the Ordinary Meeting
- Only the number of signatories and the issues raised in the petition will be included in the agenda and minutes
- The petition must contain a request for action to be taken by the Council
A sample is included in Schedule B of Governance Local Law 2016(PDF, 40KB).