Home>Council Services>Waste & Environment>Benalla Rural City Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan 2013-2025
|Benalla Rural City Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan 2013-2025|| Printer Friendly|
|What is Council doing to prepare for climate change? |
In 2013 using State government funding through the Sustainability Fund under the Victorian Local Sustainability Accord, Council prepared a Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan titled “Climate Change Adaption Action Plan 2013-2025” (The Plan).
The Plan has was developed using expert advice on climate change impacts in the North East of Victoria and staff insights into what these impacts would mean for Council business. A project Steering Committee, made up of external agencies and community groups, provided excellent oversight and worked to build partnerships between Council and other stakeholders in the Benalla Rural City to adapt to potential changes in climate.
The development of the Plan was an action identified in the Benalla Rural City Council Environment Strategy 2012, and helps Council to:
• Identify and prioritise climate change risks to Council operations, services and activities
• Identify and prioritise adaptation actions to improve the resilience of Council
• Identify opportunities to engage with stakeholders and the community on further adaption efforts.
• Reduce our vulnerability to climate change impacts or to capitalize on opportunities created by changes in climate.
How does the adaptation action plan work?
The Plan sits underneath the Environment Strategy and informs all Council’s strategic documents through its 52 actions to be implemented over the 12-year life of the plan. The plan will be reviewed after four years (in 2017) and after eight years (in 2021).
The adaption actions address the following broad areas:
• Healthy and resilient community
• Healthy and resilient economy
• Healthy and resilient environment
• A prepared and responsive council that demonstrates leadership
The Plan also allows Council to act on obligations to the North East and Goulburn Broken Greenhouse Alliances.
A copy of the “Climate Change Adaptation Action Plan 2013-2025” can be downloaded from the link below.
Need more information on how you can adapt to a changing climate?
Please download our Community Resource “We live in a Changing Climate” below.