Flood & Storm
Please use the VicEmergency App to access important community information and warnings for all types of emergencies in Victoria.
Are you ready for flood?
For flood/storm emergency call the SES on 132 500
For life threatening emergencies, call 000 (Triple Zero)
The SES has developed Local Flood Guides to explain flood risks.
Visit the SES Flood Guide for Benalla Rural City.
Floods in Benalla Rural City
Historically, floods have had serious consequences for our Rural City's residents and businesses.
In October of 1993, Benalla Rural City floods caused the following:
- 1,500 people were evacuated from their homes
- 500 houses and businesses were flooded or cut off
- Five bridges were damaged or destroyed and roads were cut
- 400km of rural fencing and farm machinery was damaged
- Telephone services, power, sewage and water supplies were damaged which led to interruptions of service
How to prepare for flood
- Prepare an emergency plan. Visit SES Victoria for information and to download the Benalla Local Flood Guide.
- Monitor emergency.vic.gov.au for information on flood emergencies. Listen to emergency broadcasters including ABC FM 97.7 during a flood emergency.
- Monitor the Bureau of Meteorology for information on river heights.
- Floodwater is dangerous - never drive, walk or ride through floodwater.
- Check on vulnerable friends, family and neighbours if a flood threatens.
Property-Specific Flood Advice
Flood advice for your property can be obtained from the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority.
Sandbags can be purchased in advance from Mitre 10 on Sydney Road, Benalla. During a flood emergency, the SES may use sandbags to reduce the risks associated with flood.
For up-to-date information about road closures, visit the VicRoads 'VicTraffic' website.
Never drive through floodwaters.
For more information about non-emergency road closures, including roadworks, visit our Road Closures & Roadworks page.
Storms can happen anywhere, at any time of year and are often accompanied by strong winds, large hailstones and lightning. Storms cost Victorians an average of $28 million each year, and can cause significant damage to homes, businesses and community infrastructure.
The Victoria State Emergency Service (SES) plans for storms and floods and manages the response when they occur.
The SES have put together some important information that can help you learn more about what you can do to prepare your home for storms. Visit the Victorian SES website
In a life-threatening emergency, call 000
You can contact the SES North East Office:
firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 03 9256 9650
For SES assistance during a storm or flood call 132 500.