Council services during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Council is working closely with Benalla Health, aged care facilities, medical practices, Victoria Police, business representatives and State Government agencies in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are monitoring the pattern of infection and transmission to ensure our community is best prepared to respond to any suspected or confirmed cases.
Our role in a pandemic is business continuity. This means we continue to provide essential services, public health and community support and recovery services. We are guided by the Victorian Government and the Department of Health and Human Services about what action to take and when.
Changes to Council Services
Go to the Victorian State Government's COVID-19 website for all the information on current restrictions.
The Customer Service Centre has reverted to normal opening hours (8.30am – 5.00pm Mon – Fri).
You can continue to conduct business by email, mail or phone. You can still make payments to the Council over the phone using card or by posting a cheque. If you are uncertain about how to make a payment, contact us and we will arrange a way for you to pay.
We understand we need to be flexible with those who may be unable to meet payment due dates. If you are experiencing financial hardship and wish to set up a payment plan, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 03 5760 2600.
Benalla Art Gallery
The Benalla Art Gallery will re-open from Monday 23 November. It will open to the full summer hours being:
10:00am - 4:30pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The Gallery will offer exhibitions at this stage, with public programs restarting at a later date in line with the further easing of capacity limit restrictions.
Patron capacity and time limits will apply.
From Monday 23 November the Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Learning Centre (Benalla Library) will move to full opening hours.
|| 9.30am - 6.00pm
|| 9.30am - 6.00pm
||12.00pm - 7.00pm
|| 9.30am - 6.00pm
|| 9.30am - 5.00pm
|| 9.30am - 12.00pm
Conditions of entry apply in line with the COVID-safe plan:
- Maximum 20 people in the building at any one time.
- Visits limited to 15 minutes per patron.
- Only the lending service and scanning computer are available. Public computers are not available and there is no public programming, such as events or activities.
- Contract tracing is required.
Visitor Information Centre
The Visitor Information Centre is operating with limited hours due to low volunteer numbers.
Opening hours are Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 4pm.
The Costume and Kelly Museum will be open on the same days between 10am and 3.30pm.
A Covid-safe plan is in place.
Visit enjoybenalla.com.au for more information.
Benalla Cinema @ BPACC
The Benalla Cinema will re-open in the week starting Monday 14 December. It will show movies on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Council meetings are continuing but members of the public cannot attend while Stage 3 restrictions are in place. Instead you can watch meetings online.
If you want to make a submission to the Council, please email email@example.com or contact Council's Governance Coordinator on 5760 2600.
Please keep checking this website for updates on other scheduled Council meetings.
Waste - landfill and bin collection
Your bins will be collected as normal. There will be no change to this service.
The Benalla Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre is also operating as usual. During this time, we won’t be accepting cash. We will only be accepting payments by card.
We thank you for your patience as we all adjust to these change.
Our priority is always the health and safety of our staff and the community as we continue to work through uncertain times and deliver vital and key services.
Registering your pets is important. We are still controlling animals during this crisis. If your pet is lost, we want to make every effort to return it to you.
Pet registrations are due by 9 April 2020
Pay your registration by calling us and paying over the phone with a card. You can also pay with a cheque and post it to us.
If these options don't work for you, you can pay directly into our bank account. If you choose to do this, it is critical that you include your tag number, which you can find on your animal registration notice. It is the first box on the top right corner of your details.
Bank account details:
Benalla Rural City Council
Commonwealth Bank, Benalla
REFERENCE TAG NUMBER: XXXXXX
The way a number of our community services are delivered has changed.
- Home Support services
- Meals on Wheels
- Regional Assessment services
- Maternal and Child Health services
- Family Services
We have contacted people who are impacted directly. If you are not sure if this impacts you, please contact us on 5760 2600.
Aged and Disability Services
- Staff undertake daily screening and clients are screened prior to all their services.
- Social Support groups for older people have recommenced offering morning and afternoon teas and lunch programs only until the new year.
- Meals on Wheels deliveries continue using staff and not volunteers. Meals continue to be delivered three times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Monthly Community Meals have been cancelled
- The weekly Community Meal at the Senior Citizens Community Centre has been cancelled
- Home maintenance, including essential minor home modifications, continue
- Intake and assessment for aged care services will take place over the phone
- Volunteer transport is reduced significantly with many medical services opting for telehealth consultations
- A combination of home based visits and phone consultations continue with wearing of the current recommended Personal Protective Equipment and COVID -19 screening for families.
- Supported Playgroup Facebook sessions are ongoing. Face to face sessions have recommenced with wearing of the current recommended PPE and COVID-19 screening for families.
Maternal and Child Health
- Centre-based appointments are as normal. Benalla Health conducts a COVID-19 screening on arrival. Mask need to be worn in line with current PPE guidelines.
- Scheduled first home visits and Enhanced Program home visits are as normal with wearing of the current recommended PPE and COVID -19 screening for families.
Immunisations - appointments required
Due to the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, all immunisation services will be by appointment only. This applies to all scheduled council immunisation sessions in Benalla Rural City and other areas Wodonga provides a mobile immunisation service.
If you or your child requires vaccination at an immunisation session, please contact Wodonga Council to make an appointment on 1800 655 360.
If you do not have an appointment, you may not be able to receive the vaccination you require.
To reduce the risk of infection:
- only one parent/guardian should accompany a child into the immunisation session
- anyone attending the immunisation session will be screened for COVID-19
- hand sanitiser will be provided
- plastic chairs will be disinfected before and after use
- BYO pen - we have limited supplies of disinfected pens available
- BYO toy - there is a 15 min waiting period after vaccination
If you feel unwell prior to the immunisation or if you have any other concerns contact us on 1800 655 360.
Rural Outreach Worker
Rural Outreach Worker services are taking place over the phone.
Visit the Rural Outreach page for general information about the service.
Operations and Parks & Gardens
Operations and Parks and Gardens
Outdoor gyms, playgrounds, skate ramps, barbecues and other outdoor facilities are now open. You can continue to exercise in Benalla's parks and gardens as long as you comply with Third Step restrictions.
Our scheduled maintenance, including grading, road maintenance, parks and gardens and responses continue. We are street sweeping but not using the blower. We are respecting social distancing recommendations so our scheduled works are taking longer than usual. We are making sure our staff maintain social distancing requirements and figuring ways to safely complete work with one staff member.
If you have contaminated waste, you'll need to dispose of it differently to regular waste.
Read more about how to dispose of household waste when you have coronavirus on the EPA website. The website also has general tips for households, including good hygiene for when you take out your bin or help someone else with theirs.
Visit the EPA website for information about how to handle waste during the pandemic.