Council services during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Council is working closely with Benalla Health, aged care facilities, medical practices, Victoria Police, business representatives and State Government agencies in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are monitoring the pattern of infection and transmission to ensure our community is best prepared to respond to any suspected or confirmed cases.
Our role in a pandemic is business continuity. This means we continue to provide essential services, public health and community support and recovery services. We are guided by the Victorian Government and the Department of Health and Human Services about what action to take and when.
Changes to Council Services
Go to the Victorian State Government's COVID-19 website for all the information on what Stage 3 restrictions mean.
The Customer Service Centre is open to the public from 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday until further notice.
You can continue to conduct business by email, mail or phone. You can still make payments to the Council over the phone using card or by posting a cheque. If you usually pay by cash, contact your bank to see what other payment methods may be available to you. If you are uncertain about how to make a payment, contact us and we will arrange a way for you to pay.
We understand we need to be flexible with those who may be unable to meet payment due dates. If you are experiencing financial hardship and wish to set up a payment plan, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 03 5760 2600.
The following venues will be closed from Thursday 6 August in line with the return of Stage 3 restrictions.
While our venues are closed, we continue to serve the community. Contact us on 03 5760 2600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to continue to conduct business with the Council. Use the links in the dot points above to find out more about each service.
The Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Learning Centre (Benalla Library) is open with limited service for the following hours:
||Noon - 5 pm
||Noon - 5 pm
||1 pm - 6 pm
||Noon - 5 pm
||10 am - 3 pm
Conditions of entry apply in line with the COVID-safe plan:
- Maximum 20 people in the building at any one time.
- Visits limited to 15 minutes per patron.
- Only the lending service and scanning computer are available. Public computers are not available and there is no public programming, such as events or activities.
- Contract tracing is required. Patrons from metro Melbourne will not be allowed entry.
Council meetings are continuing but members of the public cannot attend while Stage 3 restrictions are in place. Instead you can watch meetings online.
If you want to make a submission to the Council, please email email@example.com or contact Council's Governance Coordinator on 5760 2600.
Please keep checking this website for updates on other scheduled Council meetings.
Waste - landfill and bin collection
Your bins will be collected as normal. There will be no change to this service.
The Benalla Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre is also operating as usual. During this time, we won’t be accepting cash. We will only be accepting payments by card.
We thank you for your patience as we all adjust to these change.
Our priority is always the health and safety of our staff and the community as we continue to work through uncertain times and deliver vital and key services.
Registering your pets is important. We are still controlling animals during this crisis. If your pet is lost, we want to make every effort to return it to you.
Pet registrations are due by 9 April 2020
Pay your registration by calling us and paying over the phone with a card. You can also pay with a cheque and post it to us.
If these options don't work for you, you can pay directly into our bank account. If you choose to do this, it is critical that you include your tag number, which you can find on your animal registration notice. It is the first box on the top right corner of your details.
Bank account details:
Benalla Rural City Council
Commonwealth Bank, Benalla
REFERENCE TAG NUMBER: XXXXXX
Aged and Disability Services
- All Social Support groups for older people have been cancelled
- Meals on Wheels deliveries continue using staff and not volunteers. Deliveries will be reduced to three times a week from Monday 6 April.
- Monthly Community Meals have been cancelled
- The weekly meal delivery to the Senior Citizens Community Centre has been cancelled
- Screening of clients and staff before personal care and respite services, including the assisted shopping service
- Home maintenance, including essential minor home modifications, continue
- Intake and assessment for aged care services will take place over the phone
- Volunteer transport is reducing significantly with many medical services opting for telehealth consultations
The way a number of our community services are delivered has changed.
- Aged and Disability services
- Home Support services
- Meals on Wheels
- Regional Assessment services
- Maternal and Child Health services
- Family Services
We have contacted people who are impacted directly. If you are not sure if this impacts you, please contact us on 5760 2600.
Rural Outreach Worker
Rural Outreach Worker services are taking place over the phone.
Visit the Rural Outreach page for general information about the service.
Immunisations - appointments required
Due to the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, all immunisation services will be by appointment only. This applies to all scheduled council immunisation sessions in Benalla Rural City and other areas Wodonga provides a mobile immunisation service.
If you or your child requires vaccination at an immunisation session, please contact Wodonga Council to make an appointment on 1800 655 360.
If you do not have an appointment, you may not be able to receive the vaccination you require.
To reduce the risk of infection:
- only one parent/guardian should accompany a child into the immunisation session
- anyone attending the immunisation session will be screened for COVID-19
- hand sanitiser will be provided
- plastic chairs will be disinfected before and after use
- BYO pen - we have limited supplies of disinfected pens available
- BYO toy - there is a 15 min waiting period after vaccination
If you feel unwell prior to the immunisation or if you have any other concerns contact us on 1800 655 360.
Operations and Parks & Gardens
Operations and Parks and Gardens
Outdoor gyms, playgrounds, skate ramps, barbecues and other outdoor facilities are now open. You can continue to exercise in Benalla's parks and gardens as long as you comply with Third Step restrictions.
Our scheduled maintenance, including grading, road maintenance, parks and gardens and responses continue. We are street sweeping but not using the blower. We are respecting social distancing recommendations so our scheduled works are taking longer than usual. We are making sure our staff maintain social distancing requirements and figuring ways to safely complete work with one staff member.
If you have contaminated waste, you'll need to dispose of it differently to regular waste.
Read more about how to dispose of household waste when you have coronavirus on the EPA website. The website also has general tips for households, including good hygiene for when you take out your bin or help someone else with theirs.
Visit the EPA website for information about how to handle waste during the pandemic.