Council services during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Council is working closely with Benalla Health, aged care facilities, medical practices, Victoria Police, business representatives and State Government agencies in its response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We are monitoring the pattern of infection and transmission to ensure our community is best prepared to respond to any suspected or confirmed cases.
Our role in a pandemic is business continuity. This means we continue to provide essential services, public health and community support and recovery services. We are guided by the Victorian Government and the Department of Health and Human Services about what action to take and when.
Changes to Council Services
Go to coronavirus.vic.gov.au for all the information on current restrictions
The Customer Service Centre will re-open to the public on Friday 10 September 2021 in line with current restrictions and COVIDSafe measures.
Signing into the Service Victoria QR Code system is mandatory to visit our Customer Service Centre. If you don't have a smartphone that can sign into the Service Victoria app, we can assist you with a manual sign-in sheet. You will need to provide your full name and phone number to meet contact tracing requirements.
We understand we need to be flexible with those who may be unable to meet payment due dates. If you are experiencing financial hardship and wish to set up a payment plan, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 03 5760 2600
Council venues will reopen in line with the Victorian Government's COVID-19 restrictions as follows:
- Benalla Art Gallery including gift shop and the exhibition spaces on Friday 10 September. The cafe will reopen on Wednesday 15 September.
- Benalla Cinema at BPACC on Friday 10 September
- Benalla Library on Monday 13 September
- Benalla Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre on Friday 10 September (see Waste Services tab for details)
- Benalla Visitor Information Centre on Tuesday 14 September.
Mandatory contact tracing and social distancing requirements will mean some changes to how we operate within these venues.
Council meetings are continuing but members of the public cannot attend while COVID-19 restrictions are in place. Instead you can watch meetings online.
If you want to make a submission to the Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Council's Governance Coordinator on 5760 2600.
Please keep checking this website for updates on other scheduled Council meetings.
The way a number of our community services are delivered has changed.
- Home Support services
- Meals on Wheels
- Regional Assessment services
- Maternal and Child Health services
- Family Services
We have contacted people who are impacted directly. If you are not sure if this impacts you, please contact us on 5760 2600.
Aged and Disability Services
The following essential services will continue during the lockdown period:
- Meals on Wheels deliveries will continue to be delivered using staff and not volunteers. Meals will continue to be delivered three times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Volunteer Transport (trips to essential medical appointments only)
- Domestic Assistance (cleaning) is not able to be provided over this period, however staff will undertake welfare checks with clients over the phone and delivery of groceries and other essential shopping will be offered to clients.
- Personal Care services (such as showering) will continue.
- Social Support activities will not be available, however staff will undertake welfare checks with clients over the phone.
- Respite services will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Only essential home maintenance services will be undertaken.
- Family Services staff will support clients by keeping in phone and video contact and delivering activity and support packages to eligible families.
- Supported Playgroup sessions will be livestreamed on Facebook and activity and support packs will be delivered to participants.
Maternal and Child Health
- Centre based appointments will continue for key stages (such as 2, 4, and 8 week visits) with screening conducted for all clients on arrival.
- Scheduled first home visits and Enhanced Program home visits will continue with staff wearing the current recommended PPE and COVID -19 screening for families.
- All other visits for clients will be contacted over the phone.
Immunisations - appointments required
Due to the COVID-19 social distancing requirements, all immunisation services will be by appointment only. This applies to all scheduled council immunisation sessions in Benalla Rural City and other areas Wodonga provides a mobile immunisation service.
If you or your child requires vaccination at an immunisation session, please contact Wodonga Council to make an appointment on 1800 655 360.
If you do not have an appointment, you may not be able to receive the vaccination you require.
To reduce the risk of infection:
- only one parent/guardian should accompany a child into the immunisation session
- anyone attending the immunisation session will be screened for COVID-19
- hand sanitiser will be provided
- plastic chairs will be disinfected before and after use
- BYO pen - we have limited supplies of disinfected pens available
- BYO toy - there is a 15 min waiting period after vaccination
If you feel unwell prior to the immunisation or if you have any other concerns contact us on 1800 655 360.
- The L2P program will be on hold until further notice and the scheduled 10 year anniversary celebration has been postponed.
Rural Outreach Worker
Rural Outreach Worker services are taking place over the phone.
Visit the Rural Outreach page for general information about the service.
Registering your pets is important. We are still controlling animals during this crisis. If your pet is lost, we want to make every effort to return it to you.
Pet registrations are due in April 2021
Pay your registration by calling us and paying over the phone with a card. You can also pay with a cheque and post it to us.
If these options don't work for you, you can pay directly into our bank account. If you choose to do this, it is critical that you include your tag number, which you can find on your animal registration notice. It is the first box on the top right corner of your details.
Bank account details:
Benalla Rural City Council
Commonwealth Bank, Benalla
REFERENCE TAG NUMBER: XXXXXX
Operations and Parks & Gardens
Operations and Parks and Gardens
You can continue to exercise in Benalla's parks and gardens as long as you comply with the Victorian Government's COVID-19 restrictions.
Our scheduled maintenance, including grading, road maintenance, parks and gardens and responses continue. We are street sweeping but not using the blower. We are respecting social distancing recommendations so our scheduled works are taking longer than usual. We are making sure our staff maintain social distancing requirements and figuring ways to safely complete work with one staff member.
The Benalla Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre (BLRRC) will revert to the usual opening times (12.00 to 3.45pm daily) for Benalla residents from Friday 10 September.
Please note that the BLRCC cannot accept cash payments. EFTPOS facilities are available onsite.
Access to the landfill tipping face is weather dependent. In inclement weather you may need to unload general waste into skip bins provided.
For any questions before you attend the Benalla Landfill Resource Recovery Centre please call 5760 2600 or email us at email@example.com
If you have contaminated waste, you'll need to dispose of it differently to regular waste.
Read more about how to dispose of household waste when you have coronavirus on the EPA website. The website also has general tips for households, including good hygiene for when you take out your bin or help someone else with theirs.
Visit the EPA website for information about how to handle waste during the pandemic.