Disability Parking

A Disabled Parking Scheme currently operates in Victoria, providing parking concessions based on the applicant’s need for assistance. The current scheme provides for two permit categories with varying parking concessions based on the applicant’s need for assistance. The permit must only be displayed when the vehicle is being used to transport the individual to whom the permit was issued. It cannot be used if the permit holder is not travelling in the vehicle.

  • Permits must be clearly displayed so the permit number and expiry date are visible from the exterior of the vehicle.
  • Parking is not permitted in restricted locations such as Clearways, No Stopping, No Parking Areas, Taxi Only Areas, Bus Zones, and Authorised Resident Areas.
  • An individual is entitled to hold only one disability parking permit.

Category One:

Permit holders with significant intellectual or ambulatory disabilities who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to park a vehicle in a special bay reserved for people with a disability only. In this parking space, you need to adhere to the specified time.

In all other ordinary parking areas, you can park for twice the specified time. Learn more on the VicRoads website.

Category Two:

Permit holders who require rest breaks when walking can use a Category Two permit to park in an ordinary parking area for twice the specified time. You can’t use a Category Two permit to park in special disabled persons’ parking space. Learn more on the VicRoads website.


How to Apply for a Disabled Parking Permit

Disabled Parking permits may be allocated for a driver, passenger or both. To obtain a disabled parking permit an application form needs to be completed by the applicant and their doctor. On return of the application form, assessment criteria set by VicRoads is used to determine category of permit that the applicant is eligible to receive.

Application forms are available from our Customer Service Centre.

Permits will only be issued to established residents of the Benalla Rural City. The application has two parts. The applicant completes the first part, and a medical practitioner completes the second part of the form. For people with intellectual disabilities, this can be a specialist medical practitioner or a clinical psychologist.

Completed forms need to be returned to the Council. Any fees incurred to complete the forms are the responsibility of the applicant. The applicant also needs to provide authority to the medical practitioner or clinical psychologist to release medical information.

Organisations providing transport services for people with a disability should complete a separate application form which is also available from the Council.

Permit Renewal

If you have a permanent disability you will be issued with a permit from two to five years. At the end of this time the Council will send you a renewal notice. Permits issued to organisations expire after five years.

Permit Cancellation

A permit is automatically cancelled after the expiry date and may be cancelled at any time due to wilful misuse or breach of the Conditions of Use. Penalties may be imposed for misuse of the permit. Further information may be obtained by contacting our Customer Service Centre.

Refusal of an Application

Where an application is refused, Benalla Rural City will give reasons for its decision in writing. If you seek a second opinion from another medical practitioner or clinical psychologist, we will reconsider your application. Contact us for further information or assistance.

Travelling Interstate

Permits are recognised elsewhere in Australia. Parking concessions may be different in other States and Territories and you should check the conditions of use to the Disabled Persons Parking Scheme in the relevant State or Territory you intend to visit.

Please contact VicRoads or visit the VicRoads website for further information including interstate schemes.

Damaged, Lost or Stolen Disabled Parking Permit

Please contact our Customer Service Centre if you have damaged or lost your disabled parking permit.