First elected - 9 November 2016 - 24 October 2020
Mayor - 13 November 2019 -10 November 2021
Councillor Claridge represents Council on the following Committees:
- Benalla Art Gallery Committee
- Benalla Airport Advisory Committee
- CEO Performance Review Advisory Committee
- Communications Advisory Committee
- Former Migrant Camp Conservation Management Plan Implementation Steering Committee
- Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee and Fire Management Planning Committee
- Municipal Flood Management Planning Committee
- Hume Region Local Government Network
- Municipal Association of Victoria
- North East Waste and Resource Recovery Group – Local Government Forum
- Benalla Historical Society Incorporated
- Benalla Family Research Group
- State Gliding Centre Committee of Management Incorporated
Why did you nominate for election to the Council?
I ran for council in 2016 because I wanted to give back to the community that has been my home for more than 40 years. I very much enjoyed my previous term, have learned a great deal, and feel that I have a lot to contribute to the new council.
What is your vision for Benalla?
Benalla is experiencing a period of unprecedented growth. This needs to be carefully managed to ensure we maintain our wonderful country lifestyle and share benefits equally across our community. I see a future where our young people can leave school knowing there is employment for them in Benalla.
What local issues are you especially interested in?
As a lover of the arts I will work to promote Benalla as a regional arts and culture centre. Addressing disadvantage in our community by working with groups such as Tomorrow Today.
What you would like Council to achieve in the next 4 years?
I would like to see council in a strong financial position with the capacity to deliver the capital works expected by the community. We have a huge rehabilitation cost at the landfill that needs to be resolved rather than passed on to the next council.
Your background - work experience, career, family, children, hobbies?
I have lived in Benalla for over 40 years and with my wife Pat, have raised four lovely daughters and many grandchildren. We ran an automotive business and employed many locals over the years. I have also been in active volunteer in many local organisations I enjoy a game of golf and love fishing.
Best method for residents and the community to contact you?
Phone or email