L2P Learner Driver Program
The TAC L2P Program helps young learner drivers facing significant barriers to getting the 120 hours of mandatory on-the-road driving experience.
The program is funded by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), managed by the Department of Transport (DoT), supported by the Victorian Government and coordinated by Benalla Rural City Council.
How does it work?
The TAC L2P Program matches learners from 16 to 21 years old with a fully-licensed volunteer driver and practice vehicle to help them gain driving experience.
Before being matched with a volunteer mentor, learners participating in the program have access to up to seven free driving lessons throughout the program with a professional instructor. This helps learners build their skills before getting on the road with a volunteer mentor and continue progressing through the four stages of the Graduated Licensing System.
The program focuses on helping young people become safe, confident drivers in an effort to reduce Victoria’s road toll. It also provides an opportunity for young people to interact with positive adult role models, gain confidence and move towards social independence.
Who is eligible for the TAC L2P program?
Learners need to meet the following criteria to join the TAC L2P program:
- be between 16 and 21 years old
- hold a current learner permit (have you got your Ls?)
- have no access to a vehicle or a supervising driver*
- live in Benalla Rural City
* Applications outside of the standard criteria will also be considered, please contact your L2P Coordinator for further information.
As a learner driver in the program, you will:
- be matched with a volunteer supervisor/mentor who will meet with you at least once a week for an hour
- receive professional driving lessons by qualified driving instructors to assess your skill
- be supported by the Council who will liaise with both you and your mentor
- develop and maintain a purposeful and supportive relationship with a mentor
- have fun and be a part of a great program
If you are interested in the program, either as a potential mentor or a potential learner driver, please contact Council's L2P Coordinator on 03 5760 2600.
How to apply
To apply to join the TAC L2P program, learners (or their parent or guardian) need to complete a learner driver application form(PDF, 309KB)
Send your completed form to us. Once received, an L2P program coordinator will contact you within 10 business days to schedule an interview time.
Contact the L2P Coordinator on 5760 2600 if you need a hard copy of the form.
Are you interested in being a mentor?
You can make a difference to the community if you can help even one young person to gain experience behind the wheel.
Do you have one spare hour per week that you could use to help a young person?
Volunteers in the program:
- Are provided with free training
- Are supported by the Council for coordination, communication and logistics
- Meet with the learner driver at least once a week for an hour
- Develop supportive and purposeful relationships with the young people learning to drive
- Are part of a great program that supports young people in the community
- Have fun meeting new people and teaching valuable skills
If you are interested in the program, either as a potential mentor or a potential learner driver, please contact the Council on 03 5760 2600.