We patrol school zones from 8am-9.30am and from 2.30pm-4pm. During these times, speed limits are reduced to 40km/h. Being safe around school crossings means we can increase the safety of children on their way to and from school.
Thanks to the Benalla Police for the photograph.
We have 14 school crossings in Benalla which are controlled by 18 school crossing supervisors.
Under the Road Safety Road Rules 2017, whenever the school crossing flags are displayed, it is illegal to stop or park:
- 20 metres before a school crossing
- 10 metres after a school crossing
- within 10 metres of an intersection
If school crossing flags are displayed, you must stop for pedestrians. You must remain stopped until the crossing is clear.
Rules around school crossings are made to keep our roads safe for children.
Interested in becoming a School Crossing Supervisor?
We are currently recruiting School Crossing Supervisors in Benalla. If demonstrate a commitment to the safety and welfare of our community members, particularly the users of school crossings, please fill out the form below to express your interest.
In this role you will:
- Oversee the school crossing during stipulated hours, ensuring a secure environment for all users.
- Conform to legal requirements by appropriately marking the school crossing with flags during designated hours, adhering to regulatory standards.
- Detect and promptly report any incidents or safety concerns to the Compliance Officer/Coordinator.
- Ability to stand for up to two hours at a time.
- Ability to perform duties in diverse weather conditions.
- Willingness to undertake training in accordance with VicRoads guidelines for School Crossings, displaying a commitment to professional development.
- Possess a current satisfactory police record check or express a willingness to undergo such scrutiny.
- Hold a current working with children check or exhibit readiness to secure one.
If this sounds like you, complete the below form call 03 5760 2600 to discuss your suitability for this important paid community role.