Fire Management

Are you ready if a bushfire threatens you or your community?

Understanding your risk, planning and preparing for a bushfire is crucial.


Preparing for Fire Season

The CFA restricts the use of fire in the community during the Fire Danger Period. Fire restrictions come into force. You cannot light a fire in the open air (burn-off) without a permit.

Read more about the Fire Danger period and what restrictions are enforced on the CFA website.

The state of Victoria is one of the most fire-prone regions in the world. The Country Fire Authority (CFA) helps people to prepare for bushfires.

For information on how to plan and prepare your property, visit the CFA website.

Go to CFA’s information to help know what to do before and during a fire, including creating a bushfire plan and fire ready kit.


Know your Bushfire District

Benalla Rural City is located in the NORTH EAST Fire District.

It’s important you know this while staying, visiting or travelling through Benalla Rural City.


Bushfire Ratings & Restrictions

Visit the North East Fire District page on the CFA website for Fire Danger Ratings.

Not sure about what you can and can’t do during particular fire danger periods? Visit the CFA website to explore what you can and can’t do during declared fire danger periods.


Is there a planned burn near me?

Visit the Forest Fire Management website to see if there is a planned burn near you. Note that CFA burns are not currently on the website. You can find this information on the local CFA Facebook page.


Burning off

To ensure fire services know about your planned burn, notify the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) by email or call ESTA on 1800 668 511.

You need to let us know if you plan to burn off. The CFA guide to burning off gives great tips about planning a burn off. You do need a permit to light a fire in the open air.


What to do if your home is damaged by fire

The CFA has great information on their website to consider in the immediate period after a fire in your home.

You need to consider the safety of you and your family as a priority. This includes whether gas and electricity supplies are safe and whether the structure of your home is stable. You need to notify insurance as soon as you can – it’s an obligation you are likely to have to comply with your insurance contract.

If you need somewhere to stay, family and friends are usually best. If you don’t have this option, contact BeyondHousing  - 1800 825 955 who can assist with emergency accommodation.