Personal Care & Body Art Industries

All hairdressers, beauty therapists, nail technicians, tattooists, ear/body piercers or colonic irrigation businesses, including mobile or temporary businesses, must be registered with Benalla Rural City Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Registering a new business

To register a new business that falls within the category of Personal Care and Body Art, you will need to submit a floor plan of your proposed layout including the location of all fixtures, fittings, equipment and a description of the materials used to finish all surfaces, such as benches, floors and walls.

An ‘Application to Register a Health Premises’ must be completed and submitted to the Council with the applicable fee.

An inspection of the proposed premises will be undertaken by the Council.

Note that you must register your business with the Council and be granted a Certificate of Registration before you operate your business to comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Application for Registration of Personal Care Business(PDF, 319KB)

More information about industry guidelines, including fact sheets for the Personal Care and Body Art Industry, can be found on the Department of Health website.


Buying or selling an existing business

If you are buying or selling an existing personal care and body art business, transfer of registration must be completed and submitted to the Council together with the applicable fee.

Application for Registration of a Personal Care Premises(PDF, 319KB)

If you're interested in buying a business, you can request a prepurchase inspection report from the Council. You'll need to complete a Request for Inspection of Premises form, obtain the consent from the current proprietor and pay the applicable fee.

Request for Inspection of Premises Form(PDF, 274KB)


More information

The following guidelines and fact sheets contain more information about health standards required under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.


Head lice

Are you looking for information about how to handle head lice at your business? For up-to-date information on head lice, including treatment measures for schools, hairdressers and childcare centres, please visit the Department of Health website’s head lice page.