Beat the Bite (Mosquitoes)
Benalla Rural City is a great place to enjoy the outdoors, especially in the warmer weather. We have many waterways, are prone to flooding and then to high temperatures and sunny days. Unfortunately, these factors make our region particularly vulnerable to mosquitoes.
Mosquitoes aren’t just annoying – they transmit serious diseases. In 2017, we saw a record number of people diagnosed with Ross River Virus across our region, with more than 20 people infected in Benalla Rural City. Other mosquito-borne viruses are a risk.
There are simple steps we can take to protect ourselves and our families from mosquitoes:
- Wear long, loose fitting clothing that covers as much of your skin as possible
- Use effective mosquito repellents containing DEET or picaridin on all exposed skin
- Try to limit outdoor activity during dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active
- Indoors, use sprays and plug-in vaporisers
- Make sure your home is protected with flyscreens on doors and windows
- Use mosquito coils in small, protected outdoor areas
- Clear stagnant pools of water from around your home – mosquitoes use pools of water to breed
Read more about how you can ‘Beat the Bite’ on the Better Health website.