Prescribed Accommodation

‘Prescribed Accommodation’ is any short-term accommodation business for six or more people. This includes:

  • Hotels and motels
  • Hostels
  • Holiday camps
  • Student dormitories
  • Rooming houses
  • Residential accommodation

If you run a business that can accommodate six or more people, you need to register with Benalla Rural City Council to comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. 

Bed and Breakfasts or other businesses that offer short stay accommodations (less than one month) that do not fit into the categories above may not be classified as prescribed accommodation businesses. Go to our Residential Accommodation page for more information about short stay accommodations. 

Prescribed accommodation businesses must provide a safe dwelling that doesn’t compromise public health standards or impact the amenity of local areas.

The Council must approve any prescribed accommodation business operating in Benalla Rural City. The Council assists these types of businesses with maintaining industry standards through inspections, sampling, and providing important information.


Registering a prescribed accommodation business

If you want to run a prescribed business, you will need to register with the Council to obtain the necessary permits before you operate. The Council will conduct a series of inspections before it grants registration. Prescribed accommodation businesses cannot lawfully operate until a Certificate of Registration has been granted.

  • Complete an ‘Application to Register Prescribed Accommodation’
  • Submit your application and the applicable fee to the Council
  • Submit any plans of the proposed development to the Council for comment and discussion prior to the commencement of any works
  • The Council will conduct a series of inspections prior to granting registration
  • Any accommodation business must not operate until a Certificate of Registration has been granted.

The Council will assist with ensuring that both accommodation and any food preparation areas are compliant with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 and the Food Act 1984.

Application to Register Prescribed Accommodation(PDF, 95KB)


Transferring a prescribed accommodation business

If you’re buying or selling an accommodation business, you need to complete a Transfer of Registration Form and submit it to the Council with the applicable fee.

Prospective buyers can request a prepurchase inspection report from the Council. 

Application to Transfer Prescribed Accommodation(PDF, 263KB)

Request for Inspection of Premises(PDF, 274KB)


Drinking water

It is a requirement for prescribed accommodation businesses to supply potable (drinking) water to the premises for consumption.

Visit the Department of Health website to read the guidelines for private drinking supplies at commercial and community facilities.