Residential Accommodation Businesses

Businesses that accommodate six or more people for short term stays (less than one month), such as bed and breakfasts or holiday houses, are classified as residential accommodation businesses.

If you're looking for information about hotels, hostels or other accommodation businesses, you may need to look at our Prescribed Accommodation page.

Considerations for residential accommodation businesses include the following:


Any accommodation business requires a Certificate of Registration with the Council in order to operate lawfully under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Any business selling food or drinks requires registration with the Council under the Food Act 1984.

Contact us if you are considering opening a business and would like to make an appointment to discuss how you can ensure your obligations are met.