Licensed Premises


 Do I need a permit?

You need a planning permit to use land to sell or consume liquor if:

  • A licence is required under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998
  • A different licence, or class of licence is required from that which is in force
  • The hours of trading allowed under any licence are to be extended

There are a few exceptions. If you’re unsure about whether you need a planning permit, we can help. If you do need a permit, use this guide to make sure you’ve included all the information requirements.

You’ll need:

  • A covering letter
  • An up-to-date copy of title (less than six months old)
  • Site or floor plans
  • Information about your operation

Use the navigational structure on the top of this page to learn more about the requirements of each of these elements. Note that this is a guide and more information may be required when you lodge your application.

Please note that the materials you submit with your application, including plans, will be made available for public view. Copies may be made to interested parties for consideration and review as part of the planning process under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

It is important that you discuss your proposal with us before you submit your application to avoid potential delays or disappointments during the planning process.


Covering Letter

Outline your proposal with as much detail as possible about the intended use or development. You need to include a covering letter that includes all the details about your intended operation and how you plan to use or develop the land.


Copy of Title

It’s a requirement under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Section 47 (1)(d)) that you provide an up-to-date copy of title with any planning permit application. If the application is for a permit to remove or vary the title in any way, or if the permit would breach any covenant, you’ll need to include all of this information in your application.



Site or Floor Plans

You’ll need to submit:

  • Three copies of fully dimensioned plans, at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200
  • One copy of plans must be A4 or A3 sized (these should also be to scale) for copying
  • Processing of this application would be assisted by the submission of an electronic copy of all plans in PDF format on CD-Rom


The site or floor plan needs to include:

  • The north point
  • The boundaries and dimensions of the site
  • Location of car parking
  • Identify the area to be licensed, including the number of seats and arrangement of seating
  • the area to be licensed needs to be outlined in red ink. 



Information about your operation

You’ll need to include written information about your operation, including:

  • The class of licence required under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998
  • Days and hours of operation
  • Maximum number of patrons on the premises at any one time
  • Distance from premises to nearest residential property