Referral Authorities

What is a referral authority?

A referral authority is usually a government or private organisation, such the Country Fire Association (CFA), the local water catchment authority, Heritage Victoria or VicRoads.

Referrals are necessary to ensure that proposals are considered by all the relevant authorities that use or manage our land and resources.

The referral process

Some planning permit applications need to be referred to a different authority for advice or comment.

Authorities may object to a permit or specify conditions to be included on a permit.

You may choose to contact a referral authority when you are preparing a planning permit application. Fees may apply.

Or, the Planning team may submit your lodged application to a referral authority for assessment. Referral authorities have 28 days to respond to the Council. There are no fees for this service.

Common referral authorities

Government agencies and departments

Country Fire Authority

Environmental Protection Authority

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) – previously, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions (DJSIR) – previously, the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEJTR)

Heritage Victoria

Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) – previously, the Department of Transport

Service providers

APA Group

Ausnet Services

Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority

Goulburn Murray Water

North East Water